We hold a number of awareness-raising sessions at various events and venues including shopping centres in Eastbourne and elsewhere in the local area. These often coincide with Prostate Cancer Awareness month which is held in March in the UK. We tell people about the group and provide leaflets which briefly explain about prostate cancer, the treatments such as surgery and radiotherapy and what men should do if they are worried or concerned.
The Eastbourne prostate cancer support group started up in 2002 but we did not begin fund-raising until 2008. Since then we have raised over £50,000 thanks to the generosity of our donors. The money has been spent on projects that benefit prostate cancer patients and more broadly urology and oncology patients at Eastbourne District General Hospital. These include:
- £13,037 - furniture in patient reception / waiting areas and interview rooms of Eastbourne DGH Radiotherapy Unit
- £556 - urine analyser in Eastbourne DGH Radiotherapy Unit. Purchased with donations from family and friends of Ralph Richardson
- £788 -
iPads with keyboards and covers to support the urology Clinical Nurse
Specialists. The iPads enable the nurses to use the hospital WiFi to update
records whilst in / in between clinics rather than having
to wait until they return to a desk top computer in the office.
- £490 - urine analyser for the Urology Investigations Suite (UIS)
- £405 - platform lift to aid mobility onto the examination couches in UIS at Eastbourne DGH
- £940 - toward the cost of a Penny Brohn UK Living well with Cancer course in Eastbourne in May 2019.
Thank you to all our generous supporters and donors.